Sleeping in sweatpants has been a habit for years.  While it goes against all appropriate marriage protocol, I am convinced that safety should outweigh beauty.  To prove my point….

Recently, after spending the day doing yard work, I bypassed my evening dressing ritual after showering.  Sleep came soundly…until 3am…when my son burst through our door and yelled the one word no one wants to hear at 3am.  “FIRE!!!!!”

My brain slowly started processing…Fire?  Where?  What?  Huh?  And then I looked down….Where are my pants?  The thoughts continued with….Why is there smoke?  Why can’t I see anything?  And then rounding back to…Where are my clothes???  Nothing gets your heart pumping faster than the realization that you are in a fire…in the room farthest from the exit…and you are stark naked.  At this point, I had fallen off the bed and lie tangled in a sheet in the smoke-filled room.  For one brief second, I started to run down the hall, in the sheet, only to have good sense stop me dead in my tracks.  I think I was willing to die in the flames, rather than risk never being able to look my neighbors in the eyes again.

My husband, who WAS wearing sweatpants, was running down the hall.  Apparently middle age brings on an “every man for himself” mentality.  Fortunately, my 21-year-old son is still young enough to multi-task.  He was able to get dressed AND put out the fire.  While I was still searching for pants, he grabbed the garden hose and drenched the flames which had quickly grown from a rogue candle.  I stumbled down the hall after locating appropriate fire attire, feeling good that I wasn’t preventing him from ever marrying by exposing what 50-year-old women look like sans clothing. 

On a related note, when cooking bacon and removing the pesky smoke alarm, replace it promptly.  The smoke will eventually reach it in the drawer, but most likely not until the fire is out.  The firemen made sure to point this out on several occasions while surveying the damage.  You also will not be allowed back in until they have knocked open at least one wall and declared it “safe.” They will try to make you feel as stupid as possible for leaving a lit candle on a stack of newspapers.  Our middle son had a lot of explaining to do.

We are extremely grateful that we survived the fire with less than $1000 damage.  We are now a flameless-candle family with eight smoke detectors in a 1300-square-foot house.  Everyone received new pajamas for Christmas…in a box with a fire extinguisher.

 

Posted by:Sheri Saretsky

I spent ten years as a single parent of three boys. I then married my wonderful husband and he was inducted into the world of boy raising. Now we get to add my peri-menopause to the mix! Its been a crazy life...one I wouldn't change a minute of....

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s